Emergency Dog Health Care : How to Tell if Your Dog Has Eaten Rat Poison

Hi I’m Dr. Adrienne Mulligan of Camp Verde
Veterinary Clinic in Arizona and I’m here today to talk to you about rat poison on behalf
of expertvillage.com. Rat poison is the number one poison that people purposely put out to
kill vermin and sometimes they purposely put out to kill annoying neighborhood dogs and
that is a really really sad situation. The thing about rat poison is it comes in many
shapes and sizes usually it is blueish these are blocks but there are blue grains that
come in a box that shake and they taste very good so rats would eat them and mice would
eat them. The problem is it makes dogs eat them and almost every single case that I ever
had of rat poisoning the owner has sworn to me that the rat poison was no where or the
dog could get to it and so believe me no matter where you put rat poison it is not safe in
your house, in your garage, in your yard your dog will find it. It will not act immediately.
It will have no symptoms right in the begin. If you see your dog eat some then this is
a prime time to dump so hydrogen peroxide a teaspoon or two down his throat and get
him to throw it up and if he throws up blueish greenish stuff then you know you got him to
get rid of some of it. The good news is there is antidote which is vitamin K but your veterinarian
has to administer this. Now rat poison the thing you need to know is it may not cause
any symptoms if you don’t see your dog eat it or you don’t come upon your rat poison
pile disappear when you think that it shouldn’t be all gone like that then if you don’t know
if your dog has eaten it the symptoms may not show up for a week, or two weeks, or three
weeks and the symptoms are bleeding and inability to plot. So this could show up with blood
in the urine, blood in the stool, a bloody nose, blood around teeth, blood in anyplace
of a cut that doesn’t quit bleeding and sometimes just bruising. You might notice just bruising
which looks just like a bruise on a human so if you see these things then you need to
get your dog to the veterinarian immediately and ask if it could possibly be rat poison
and there is antidote and so you could get your pet treated for this but it has to be
caught early enough. Rat poison can come in lots of types and boxes and you want to kind
of avoid those kind of things. There are other types of rat poison that poison differently
but they are not as come but all rat poison are pretty dangerous. So glue traps this is
a glue trap this is not a poison it traps rats in a different way. These are maybe a
safer alternative if you are having a pest problem.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *