Hi, my name is Johan Marais from the African
Snakebite Institute. What do you do if your pet gets bitten by
a snake? Well, the first thing is to make sure you
get the pets away from the snake – you don’t want a second bite. Then, immediately transport that pet to the
nearest vet. Forget about pouring milk down the dog or cat’s throat,
forget about giving them allergex tablets, forget about all of the other stories that
you’ve heard. If a dog or any other pet is severely envenomated
by a snake, it needs to be taken to a vet and it will need antivenom to survive. Nothing else helps.