Will Chocolate Kill My Dog? Help!


Chances are if you are searching for this
topic, you want a simple answer, will eating chocolate kill my dog? Will it make my dog sick? Help! The simple answer is yes, chocolate is not
good for dogs and can indeed kill them. But, the situation may not be as dire as you
fear or more dire than you think. In this video, we will discuss what happens
when a dog eats chocolate and when you should seek advice from a vet. You’re Watching Animal Facts Listen, before I start, do not take this advice
or any advice from the Internet over that of your veterinarian. If you are concerned, contact a vet immediately. You’ve just returned home and found that
your dog has eaten a candy bar or that chocolate easter bunny that it’s managed to snag off
the counter. You’ve heard all your life that chocolate
can kill a dog. And, yes that is correct, it can, but there
are a few factors involved that will determine if it does. Chocolate is toxic because it contains a chemical
called theobromine, as well as caffeine. Like caffeine, theobromine is a cardiac stimulant. It’s the alkaloid in cocoa that gives it
its bitter taste. Theobromine primarily affects the central
nervous system, cardiovascular system, and respiratory system, as well as having a diuretic
effect, meaning it increases the passing of urine. Unlike humans, dogs, and cats, can’t absorb
and excrete this chemical quickly. The half life of theobromine in dogs is about
18 hours, where it is generally out of our systems in 2-3 hours. The amount of this toxin in chocolate varies
and generally the darker the chocolate the more it contains. The milk chocolate found in many candy bars
contains relatively little, while dark chocolate and cocoa powder contain significantly more. Also, most candy bars have a lot of other
ingredients decreasing the amount of the toxic theobromine. Obviously, your dog’s weight is a major
factor in how much of this chemical your dog can survive. A much smaller amount can be fatal to a 5
pound Chihuahua than a 100 pound Rottweiler. There’s a convenient “Chocolate Toxicity
Calculator” that I’ll link in the description that can help you in deciding to take your
dog to the vet. It asks you for the dog’s weight, how much
and what kind of chocolate it ate and a few other things to help you make an informed
decision. What are the symptoms in Chocolate Poisoning
in dogs? The first signs of chocolate poisoning in
dogs include vomiting, vomiting of blood, and polydipsia, which is an intense desire
to drink water. If you observe any of these signs, get your
dog to a vet immediately. Other symptoms may include hyperexcitability,
hyperirritability, tachycardia (which is rapid heartbeat), excessive panting, ataxia (loss
of balance and coordination), and muscle twitching. Effects may progress to cardiac arrhythmias,
seizures, and death. Most symptoms will begin to appear within
two hours of ingestion, but, as theobromine is metabolised slowly in dogs, it can take
as long as 24 hours for them to appear and up to three days for a recovery. It is absolutely imperative that you do not
allow your dog to consume any more chocolate within these three days. Although there is no specific antidote for
theobromine, supportive management includes induction of vomiting and administration of
activated charcoal, oxygen, and intravenous fluids. The sooner you get your dog to the vet, the
higher the chances of these measures are of being successful. Remember, dogs love chocolate as much as we
do. Dogs have notorious sweet tooths. So, keep boxes of Valentines chocolates, Easter
bunnies, and tins of cocoa safely out of their reach. The information above also applies to cats,
as theobromine is also toxic to your feline friend. The chances of you cat actually eating chocolate
is lower. They just don’t have the sweet tooth found
in dogs, but if your cat does eat chocolate, everything above is relevant. So, we asked you last week to identify the
breed of this puppy. You guys know your puppies. If you answered “Beagle” you are absolutely
correct. We’ll ask you to identify another next week. If you found this information useful, I hope
you’ll subscribe for more entertaining videos. But, for now, take care of your friend. And as always, catch ya next time.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *